Sunday, July 14, 2013

Color Melt

















On Friday my family left for Europe, so  J & I have been put in charge of house sitting. We've been planning different things to do until they return & decided that today would be a great day to do some weird art. After J drove me to the end of the Earth to get my favorite Mountain Dew flavored Slurpee, we took a little trip to Michael's, a craft store around the corner from my house, & picked up two white 20x16 canvases ($9.99) & two 64 count boxes of Crayola crayons ($4.99 a box). When we got home, we decided how we wanted to lay out the crayons on the canvas, peeled the wrappers off & proceeded to hot glue the crayons down. Once the glue dried, we took a blow dryer, turned it to its highest heat setting & began sporadically melting the crayons. J & I chose very different layouts & color schemes which made the project even more exciting. It's up to you to decide how long you want to melt your crayons, how many colors you want to use & what design you want to make. 

J's turned out to be pretty dark, edgy & moderhn (the way our film teacher says the word 'modern'), while mine ended up being a stereotypical, type A, girly-ass rainbow thing. Crayon melting is such a fun, cheap & easy DIY project that basically any able bodied person with two hands & a brain can do + I had fun feeling artsy & creative for once in my life. This would also be something fun to do on a first date & at the end you get to keep (or maybe burn) a lasting momento.


What are some DIY projects you are looking to try out?

Love,
A

*
Note from J: If you can get past the ridiculous packaging on the cans of Arizona's new Soda Shaq cream soda varieties, please do yourself a favor and buy every can in the store. This stuff is so delicious that I actually had unintentionally made Shaq's same face from the can. Mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, coool! I've been wanting to try this but I never get around to it. Are you going to hang it somewhere?

    I don't have any DIY projects on the backburner at the moment other than hem the shorts I just cut out of my corduroys... but I am lazy :P

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just hung ours up in our rooms yesterday and they look incredible! I really recommend this little art project, it was so much fun to do with another person and watch how different two things can turn out. Plus, it can cost you less than $20, which isn't too bad at all.

      Can't wait to see your next DIY project!

      Love,
      J

      Delete